Monday, April 9, 2012

Cambridge Brewing Company

A few weeks ago, my work hosted a Grand Tasting at the Pinehills Country Club in Plymouth. There were so many great beers there, but unfortunately I only got to try a few as I was manning the raffle tickets at the door. I did get to try a brand new beer from The House of Shandy called Curious Traveler Shandy, that just tasted like Summer. I could definitely see myself getting into a few these on the beach this summer. So refreshing and delicious.

Shock Top just introduced a shandy as well, which is also really good!



 

Another few beers I got to try were from Cambridge Brewing Company. It was so cool --  I got to meet the brewmaster, Will Meyers, and hear his notes and pairing thoughts about the beers. Cambridge Brewing Company is the oldest brewery-restaurant in the Boston area and of the first in the US. Will explained to me how exquisitely their beers pair with food, which I definitely could tell when trying them.



The first beer I tried on recommendation of a coworker was the Weekapaug Gruit, which isn't even available yet. Will explained it was about a week shy of full fermentation (I hope I'm remembering his actual terms...) but he wanted to be able to share it at the tasting so he bottled some of it early in a growler. It was so good and as Will pointed out (which I totally noticed), a caramel flavor and then a sort of herbal tea flavor at the end, which I loved. It's out this month, so hopefully I'll be able to pick up more of it!


The second I tried was their Sgt. Pepper. I loved the name of it, first off, and upon trying it, was taken aback by how interesting it was. The notes of pepper were unexpected yet awesome, and my first thought of how wonderful it would pair with a lemony chicken.  Will said it's a great beer to pair with foods like goat cheese, poultry and game meat. He said the chef paired it with a rabbit stew and he said it was the best food and beer pairing he's ever had.  Their website describes the beer as:

Four fab peppercorns harmonize with spicy hops while rye malt and our Belgian yeast hold down the backbeat. This groovy farmhouse ale is a limited release, far out with food and guaranteed to raise a smile! 6.0% ALC/VOL.

Totally agreed! Hopefully I can get to the Cambridge Brewing Co. soon!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment