Friday, May 4, 2012

Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

When your morning starts by dropping your English muffin face down (always. why?! there must be some scientific explanation here) on the kitchen floor at work. The good news is: your day can only get better!

And indeed it did. Largely in part by these sweet potato fries. Sweet potato fries are my life. I could eat these all day. And the good news is, they're healthy. (Compared to your standard french fries, which of course there is no comparison, but these are a close substitute!) Luke was playing hockey so I had the kitchen to myself, leisurely cooking while sipping sauvignon blanc.

One of the shortcomings to every other batch of sweet potato fries I've made is the lack of crispiness. I did some online research and came across for crispier fries and found  this recipe, where I learned the trick of tossing the fries in cornstarch before baking. They still weren't as crispy as I would have liked, but I did skimp on soaking the fries in water before baking (in that I didn't - I was hungry!)



I added garlic powder, rosemary, cinnamon, salt and pepper to the cornstarch before tossing them in a seal Tupperware container in small batches, adding more cornstarch and spices as needed. Be sure not to coat them too much, as it won't all cook off when baking.  They were delicious but my quest for the perfect sweet potato fries isn't over.

No comments:

Post a Comment